Dorset crab roll with pickled cucumber
By Luke Robinson
- 4 brioche hot dog rolls 7-8inch
- 50g butter at room temperature
- 500g unpasteurised white crab meat
- 500g unpasteurised brown meat
- Lettuce – 1 red Batavia or 2 baby gem, washed and drained
- 60g quality mayonnaise
- 1 unwaxed lemon juice and zest
- 70g bunch of flat leaf parsley chopped
- Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 peeled cucumber split lengthways and sliced
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 100g sugar
First pickle the cucumber heat the vinegar and sugar to the boil and pour over the cucumber slices, allow to cool down.
Now dress the white meat with half the lemon juice, a pinch of zest, the chopped parsley, the mayonnaise and a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly
Dress the brown meat with lemon and salt.
Now cut the buns almost through leaving a hinge and spread the face with the room temperature butter.
In a heavy based frying pan toast each bun until golden brown, spread with the brown crab meat, now lay the lettuce leaves and top with white crab mayonnaise.
We garnish the roll with a few slices of pickled cucumber to add acidity to cut the richness. We also use nasturtium leaves for a peppery flavour, Sheep’s sorrel for a lemon character, and samphire for saltiness.