Kipperman’s kipper pâté
By Mike Smylie
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 kippers straight from the smokehouse
- 85g butter, room temperature
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 shot (25ml) of Greek Metaxa (or brandy)
Cook the kippers by pouring boiling water over them, covering and allowing to steam for 6-8 minutes.
Use a pestle and mortar to pound the garlic into the oil, or use a hand blender to blitz together. Pour the garlic oil into a mixing bowl.
Remove the flesh from the kippers and add it to the bowl containing the garlic oil.
Pour over the lemon juice, pepper and Metaxa, add the butter and blend well.
Chill in the fridge. Serve with oatcakes.