Sardines with fennel salsa
By Caroline Rye
- 8 fresh sardines, gutted and ready to cook
- 1 red onion
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1 orange
- small bunch flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil for cooking the fish
Finely chop the red onion and bulb of fennel. Peel and segment the orange, reserving the juice.
Chop the segments into smaller pieces. Chop the herbs reasonably finely. Combine the onion, fennel, orange, orange juice and parsley with the olive oil and seasoning.
Slash the sardines a few times on each side, brush with olive oil and BBQ or grill for a few minutes on each side.
Serve with the fennel salsa poured over the top.