Whiting Katsu Curry
with Steamed Rice, Pickled Cabbage & Cucumbers. Estimated cost per portion £3.25
- 2 skinned whiting fillets
- 1/2 cup flour 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup pickling juice (from any pickles or gherkins)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup cabbage, sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1 cube of Japanese curry sauce
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Salt and pepper
- Coat the fillets in the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Add the rice and water to a pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Add the curry sauce cube with water, as per the packet instructions.
- Heat the curry sauce in a small pot and reserve warm.
- Mix the cucumber and cabbage through with the vegetables and reserve.
- Using a shallow, wide pan, warm 1” of the cooking oil to medium high heat.
- Fry the fish fillets for 2/3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Arrange the rice into bowls, top with the fish and pour over the curry sauce.
- Serve with the pickles on the side.